1. Artisanal bread (with a nice crust) - 4 slices
(*In case artisanal bread is not available, you can use multigrain sandwich bread, crisply toasted)
2. Left over grilled brinjal/baingan or Baingan ka Bharta from last night's dinner - I cup
*in case it's grilled baingan, do mash it and add a tbsp of sesame oil as well as salt and pepper to taste.
3. Firm tomatoes - chopped into round slices (these must be crunchy and not squishy else they will make the sandwich soggy) - 2 pieces
*Tip - remove the tomato pulp before slicing so that the sandwich does not get soggy.
4. Onions chopped fine - 2 medium sized
5. Coriander leaves, chopped - 4 tbsps
8. Green chilli chopped fine - 2
9. Black pepper powder - to taste
10. Gaon Fresh sesame oil - 4 tbsps
10. Himalayan pink salt - to taste
11. Cheese - I use fresh mozzarella usually - even regular cheese slices will do. In case you're vegan, you can omit the cheese entirely
12. Pomegranate seeds - a tbsp
Heat the oven for about 15 mins before assembling the sandwich.
1. Toast the bread slices. They should be toasted right through - artisanal bread is denser than white bread and hence needs more toasting time.
2. Spread the left over baingan ka bharta/ grilled brinjal mash on the toast, generously. Remember artisanal bread slices are always thicker than usual white bread slices.
3. Drizzle the bharta/ brinjal mash layered slice with a drizzle of the Gaon Fresh sesame oil.
4. Now layer with tomato slices, cucumber slices, chopped onion, finely chopped green chilli and coriander leaves.
5. Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste. Make sure each roundel of tomato and cucumber is covered. Take care to let very small amounts fall out of the spoon or crusher that you are using - remember this is only seasoning for the slices of vegetables.
6. Grate the fresh mozzarella over the sandwich.
7. Drizzle with cold pressed, extra-virgin sesame oil.
8. Sprinkle with a dash of salt and pepper and pomegranate seeds
9. Put this in a heated oven for 5-6 minutes till the cheese melts and starts turning golden at the edges.